[Samba] Upgrading Samba in a Multi DC environment

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 09:23:44 MDT 2014

I'm thinking that I need to reduce the size of my domain (and objects,
currently 300,000+) before attempting another upgrade/DNS migration.
Hopefully then I'll be able to run a successful "samba-tool dbcheck
--cross-ncs" and then rejoin all my outlying DC's. The problem I have is
that most of the DC's are spread around the globe on connections of varying
quality and latency.

In the past I haven't had much luck with the domain demotion tool and have
ended up just shutting down the DC in question and them removing all traces
of it from DNS, ADSS and ADUC.

Can anyone see any pitfalls with this approach?

Thanks,
Chris.

>>> http://twitter.com/#!/alavoinecs