[Samba] Does Samba 4 create PTR RRs automatically?

Roberto Suárez Soto robe at allenta.com
Tue Sep 16 05:11:07 MDT 2014

Hi,

     I've noticed that computers that join a Samba 4 AD domain are
automatically added to the DNS zone. I.e., if my domain is
"customer.com", the computer "DESKTOP01" would appear as
"DESKTOP01.pontegadea.com". What I didn't expect was that PTR records
were automatically created, too: if "DESKTOP01" has the IP 10.10.1.100,
and I do a "host 10.10.1.100", the name "DESKTOP01.pontegadea.com" is
returned.

     This is fine and dandy, but poses a problem: if I create the
reverse zone 10.10.in-addr.arpa, the PTR entries disappear. But if I
want to create PTR entries for computers with static IPs, I need to
create this zone.

     So, what's the recommended way of having both the automatically
added PTRs for computers joining the domain and other PTRs added by hand?

     Thanks in advance,

--
Roberto Suárez Soto
Allenta Consulting <http://www.allenta.com> (+34 881 922 600)