[Samba] known bug in samba: Re: Winbind user/group name case change

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Mon Sep 15 01:40:32 MDT 2014

Am 15.09.2014 08:19, schrieb steve:
> On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 15:46 -0700, Linda W wrote:
>> Lars Hanke wrote:
>>> My Synology NAS runs Samba 3.6.9 and maps accounts using winbind. It
>>> is joined to my samba4 AD. I set "winbind use default domain=yes" and
>>> have no entry for "winbind normalize names". Strangely a group like
>>> "Domain Users" appears as "domain users", i.e. in all lower case. A
>>> translation which breaks idmapd for NFSv4.
>>>
>>> My Debian Wheezy 3.6.6 behaves the same way. Is there some option to
>>> keep the case?
>>>
>>> Alternatively, does someone know whether it is possible to tell idmapd
>>> to ignore case?
>> ----
>>      This is a known bug in samba -- "name mangling".  MS fixed this back in
>> 2000, but samba has remained steadfast.  It wreaks havok with linux
>> systems --
>> especially ones trying to support MS systems.
>>
>> Besides the user& groupnames, system and domain names also cause problems.
>>
>> I still have 3 different entries for many of my hosts so linux can
>> compensate
>> for this bug.    I thought this was supposed to be fixed going with 4.x
>> and one of the reasons
>> for not fixing it in earlier versions was the 3.x series didn't know how
>> to do unicode
>> capitalization, but theoretically in 4.x that shouldn't be a problem
>> anymore.
>>
>> Anyyone else know if the name mangling of servers/systems, names and
>> groups was
>> fixed in 4.x?
>>

> Hi
> Yeah. It's been a pain for ages, but I suppose as it's meant to serve
> only windows boxes it doesn't matter until you start to serve Linux
> clients as well. The solution for us is to use sssd. The latest version,
> 1.12.1 is a replacement for winbind, as in you do not need to have
> winbind running in the alongside sssd. With sssd, Domain Users appears
> as Domain Users. If the OP's NAS supports sssd than that should solve
> it.

Can sssd do both options, i.e. canonicalized names and untranslated
ones? I cannot change the use of winbind on the NAS. I'd try with sssd
on my clients, but the version in the Wheezy repo is too old to support
AD. There is not even a backport from Jessie. And if I can avoid
maintaining my own packets, I'll avoid it.

But since I have a couple of other issues with winbind, I'd go for it,
if it is the cure.

Regards,
  - lars.