[Samba] known bug in samba: Re: Winbind user/group name case change

Linda W samba at tlinx.org
Sun Sep 14 19:52:33 MDT 2014

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2014-September/102352.html

Thanks for the forward...what I don't understand is this part of the
message:

Apparently an earlier attempt to always remove the enforced
canonicalization to lower case had been rejected.

---
How could doing something that would make samba more MS compatible be
rejected?  I mean Ms has been doing it for ~14 years, and they haven't
rolled
over and died yet.... Why didn't (or shouldn't) samba follow suit BECAUSE
of MS compatibility (case insensitive but preserving)?

One would think patches and change for increased compatibility wouldn't be
such a problem -- at least not at this level.

sigh.