[Samba] Sync unixUserPassword from AD Password

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Thu Sep 11 10:53:29 MDT 2014

Hello,

I am running a Samba 4.1.6 AD DC on Ubuntu 14.04. I provisioned with
--use-rfc2307 and have followed the instructions here to enable NIS Extensions:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_RFC2307_on_a_Samba_DC#Configuring_RFC2307_and_NIS_Extensions_in_a_Samba_AD

I can see the UNIX Attributes tab in ADUC and have all of the attributes
populated. I am attempting to authenticate a Solaris server to AD, however it
must use the unixUserPassword field for authenticating the user's password.
Currently, unixUserPassword is set to the default value - ABCD!efgh12345$67890.
It seems that I need to install Identity Management For Unix in order to enable
syncing of the AD user's password to the unixUserPassword field:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/sfu/archive/2010/01/08/using-unixuserpassword-attribute-properly.aspx

However, I cannot figure out how to install Identity Management for Unix since
this is a Samba 4 DC. Is there a native way in Samba to update the hash in the
unixUserPassword, or a script I could run via cron on the Samba 4 DC?

Thanks,

Andrew Martin