[Samba] Decent Performance

Gerald Drouillard gerrylist at drouillard.ca
Sun Sep 7 08:10:51 MDT 2014

On 9/6/2014 5:10 PM, Udo Kaune wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to get some decent speed out of a vanilla Debian (Proxmox) box and
> am running out of ideas. Basically I can exchange data at 110MB/sec (raw, nfs,
> ftp) but not with Samba shares.
>
> I tried almost every samba tuning tip I could find to no avail. The only
> optimisation left to smb.conf at the moment is debug level = 0. As one can see
> the robocopy throughput is merely half of what would be expected.
>
> Any hints?

Can your network hardware support jumbo frames?  If so, you can enable
it on the linux server:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-centos-debian-ubuntu-jumbo-frames-configuration/
Hopefully you can enable it on the workstation and switches.

On windows clients you can also try SG TCP Optimizer from:
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

What does you smb.conf look like?

--
Regards