[Samba] Upgrading Samba in a Multi DC environment

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 13:18:39 MDT 2014

Hi,

I attempted to upgrade my main FSMO roles DC to 4.1.11 and samba refused to
start after the upgrade. This was in the logs:

[2014/09/06 14:11:44.828602,  0]
../lib/ldb-samba/ldb_wrap.c:71(ldb_wrap_debug)
  ldb: A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x7f9ec5ae5230] on
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb

This was the only thing that looked like an error.

I use NSLCD which refused to get passwd or group from the DC after the
upgrade.

ADUC / DNS / browsing shares was all broken.

In the end I reconfigured back to 4.1.5 and all was well again (thank
goodness).

I have tried running "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" in the past but this
took days to complete and ended up crashing the DC.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris.