[Samba] diconnections when using roaming-profiles with samba4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:21:51 MDT 2014

On 05/09/14 21:49, Gregory Sloop wrote:
>>> Hi, shouldn't those lines be in dhcpd.conf ?
>>> Just how have you setup bind9 & DHCP ?
> b> Thank you rowland. Your absolutely right of course! I meant dhcpd.conf
> b> from the beginning. I don't know why I was thinking of bind.
>
> b> Thank you for correcting me here, bind worked fine in the first place
> b> and has of course nothing to do with dhcp-negotiations.
>
> b> To put it right: We are using our domain-controller as dhcp-server as
> b> well. That caused problems because of the short lease-time that was set
> b> by default. Changing /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf solved this problem! Sorry for
> b> that confusion.
>
> Just to be clear, the DHCP config doesn't have anything to do with Samba and any default config provided by the samba install.
>
> And if your machine/network is so overloaded it can't respond to DHCP requests in a timely fashion, I think short DHCP leases are unlikely to really be the root issue. [Unless we're talking about thousands of clients...]
>
> DHCPD is a very light process, and the only part that one might consider for performance, [provided there is enough RAM] is disk IO. Given this, I suspect you either have way too much IO going to your disks, or some other serious issue you probably need to address - since simply changing the lease times will only marginally move the bottle-neck elsewhere.
>
> If disk IO is buried, then setting 12 hour leases will probably make the problem less visible, but other things are likely to suffer and simply cause different issues. The root cause is still the same, but symptoms are different.
>
> I'd strongly advise running down the root issue. [But that's just me, so take the advice as you like.] :)
>
> -Greg
I would tend to agree with Greg here, I run S4, Bind9 and DHCP, all on
the same machine. From the client asking to renew its ip is only
microseconds, but I have seen instances (here on the list, not on my
setup) where windows clients have problems if they are allowed to update
their own records, that is why I asked how the OP had setup DHCP.

Rowland