[Samba] diconnections when using roaming-profiles with samba4

bugblatterbeast samba at bugblatterbeast.de
Thu Sep 4 11:26:54 MDT 2014

Hello,

     this message is just FYI. We're using samba4 with bind9 on
ubuntu-server-edition with roaming-profiles. We had to deal with
unpredictable disconnections, that were most noticeable by the sudden
dissapearance of all desktop-icons and often also led to the loss of
edited data. The problem turned out, to be caused by
dhcp-negotiation-delays due to heavy network traffic. Perhaps this is
already common knowledge, but I'd recommend anybody to try increasing
bind's default lease-time if facing the same problem. The default value
of 10 minutes is quite short. We were able to get rid of the problem by
setting it to 12 hours.

Nice regards, bbb