[Samba] valid users fails with net groupmap rid=512

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Sep 4 03:27:57 MDT 2014

Hi,

The group that is mapped to rid=512 cannot be used in "valid users", the
users cannot map the share (error 5).

Is this normal? Should I file a bug?

Version 4.1.6-Ubuntu
server role = classic primary domain controller
smb.conf:
   valid users = +smbadmin
command:
net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=smbadmin rid=512 type=d

As soon as I remove the group mapping with "net group delete", the users
can access the share.
But after adding the groupmap again, they get error 5.

So I must create two groups with the same users.
One for "groupmap", and one for "valid users".

Klaus