[Samba] Creating users with non-ascii chars fails

Roel van Meer roel at 1afa.com
Tue Sep 2 06:52:52 MDT 2014

Hi list!

I'm trying to create a user with non-ascii characters in the name, but this
fails:

root at test-samba4:~# samba-tool user create foa --given-name='foaä'
New Password:
Retype Password:
ldb_handler_fold: unable to casefold string [foaä]
ldb_handler_fold: unable to casefold string [foaä]
ldb_handler_fold: unable to casefold string [foaä]
ldb_handler_fold: unable to casefold string [foaä]
Conversion error: Illegal multibyte sequence(ä)
ERROR(ldb): Failed to add user 'foa':  - objectclass_attrs: attribute 'displayName' on entry 'CN=foaä,CN=Users,DC=s4,DC=local' contains at least one invalid value!

My locale is set to en_US.UTF-8, the "unix charset" samba variable is set to
"UTF-8".

This is samba 4.1.11, on a Slackware64 13.1 system, built with --with-iconv.
I have the iconv header files (they came with my glibc) but I do not have
libiconv.

I can create users in the ADUC with non-ascii characters without problems.

Can anyone give me a hint about where to look to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

Roel

Some extra info:

./configure says the following about iconv:

Checking for header iconv.h : yes
Checking for library iconv  : no
Checking for library iconv  : not found
Checking for iconv_open     : ok

root at test-samba4:~# env | grep -E 'LC|LANG'
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=C
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

root at test-samba4:~# testparm -sv | grep charset
        dos charset = CP850
        unix charset = UTF-8

root at test-samba4:~# iconv -V
iconv (GNU libc) 2.11.1