[Samba] safe to replace just one ldb file?

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Tue Sep 2 05:49:26 MDT 2014

Hi,

Small question: I have removed 177000 deleted objects from our
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb, effectively reducing it's filesize from
1.1GB to 6.3MB.

Now I would like to replace the big .ldb with the small .ldb.backup

Is it safe to do:
- service sernet-samba-ad stop
- tdbbackup DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb -s .backup
- mv DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...deleted
- cp DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb.backup DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=...ldb
- service sernet-samba-ad start

As in: is it safe to tdbdump one single ldb file, and replace the ldb
with the ldb.backup? It will have a newer timestamp than the other ldb
files...

Or do I need to tdbbackup them all, and replace them all as well?

MJ