[Samba] Ubuntu 14.04 as an Active Directory Domain Controller

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Oct 30 02:01:29 MDT 2014

If you use samba on ubuntu, and you want no hassle with programs etc.

Do a minimal install and strip it untill it looks like a Debian server.

Now, your ubuntu is ready for samba. I bet! if you setup like this,
you ubuntu server is about 10-20% faster in responding on console.
Overal server performance increased about 5-10%. Test is your self..

In a few days in up to my setup at home, which is running ubuntu ( because of xbmc )
I'll write a short howto, how to maximize your ubuntu performance.

Ubuntu is imo not a good server os, for that you need debian.
Why is ubuntu scarry, well, you can end up with a not working system, after upgrades.
>PS: there is one additional tip from my side. In fact have
>learned this
>the hard way... When ever SSSD is behaving erratic and crazy:
>be sure to
>have a good keytab file. If in doubt, export a fresh one. And be sure
>to completely erase the cache. In fact to make it work on my Raspi
>I had to remove and recreate the /var/lib/sss/db directory - and the
>troubles went away.  I have no clue what happened...
....Rest my case.

yesterday i had one also "again" grr... but .. i need ubuntu for my htpc..
mysql crashed, sshd crashed, reinstalled again, but not working anymore... ,
Just out of the blue.. and for this i hate ubuntu..
again here ... I also have no clue what happened...
not hardware failures, nothing in logs, cant even start sshd manualy.. .

So thats just for people to know, ubuntu is build base on "Debian test/Sid" for who does not know.
So becarefull with ubuntu, and make lots of backups.

Louis