[Samba] protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET

edA-qa mort-ora-y eda-qa at disemia.com
Wed Oct 29 03:44:20 MDT 2014

I'm unable to connect to a Windows 8.1 share from Linux using smbclient.
I get the error `protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET`.

I've checked in windows and am able to connect to the share using the IP
address and user/name.

I've checked that Linux has access to the machine, by IP, and the
desired port.  I tried telnet to port 445 of the target machine and get
a connection.

The windows 8.1 machine is hosted on the linux system using VMWare.

I'm not sure what else I can alter/check to get this working.

I'm using a command line like:
    ./smbclient -d9 -U linux //192.168.140.129/SomePath

The smbclient on my machine is 3.6.3. I also built 4.1.13 and get the
same error. It's a Ubuntu 12.04 host machine.

--
edA-qa mort-ora-y
http://mortoray.com/

Leaf - the language we always wanted