[Samba] Moving a printserver

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Tue Oct 28 11:16:21 MDT 2014

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:41:11 +0100, Stefan Kania wrote:

> I like to move a Samba Printserver to a different machine. I would
> like to copy the printerdriver from the old to the new machine and not
> reinstall all drivers/printers again. When I only copy the files from
> /var/lib/samba/drivers to the new machine, there are no drivers listed
> on the new machine. How do I get the drivers listed on the new machine?

Drivers are also tracked in the printer database. If you're using a
recent version of Samba (>= 3.6), then the printer database is
registry.tdb. If you have the same printer share names, then you could
try moving the database to your new server.
Otherwise, I'd suggest adding them again. This can be done via Windows
or with Samba's rpcclient binary (see the adddriver command).

Cheers, David