[Samba] Samba4: "MYDOM\Administrator" quite useless on a member server?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:44:33 MDT 2014

On 27/10/14 20:11, Davor Vusir wrote:
>   Well, Mirco, sorry for hijacking your thread...

>> I dont get this problem, so i did sum it up.

>> answer, this is by design in samba. to save cpu load on the DC's as far as i know.
>> google for it. the devs already told this, its somewhere in the list also.

>> answer, no it isnt, UID = UID , GID = GID, and has nothing to do with windows.
>> IMO. A windows user with a UID = just a linux user. ( depending where you login )
>>
> UID = UID, GID = GID. True. And SID = SID.
> In both MS ADS and Samba AD DC, rfc2307 is no-cost activation. And has
> got a low-cost maintenace. Why not use it? You have got more to gain
> than loose.

He wasn't saying don't use rfc2307, he was saying they are different and
mean different things to different OS's , you also got it wrong, an AD
user without a uidNumber is merely a windows user.

>> Correct, you should NEVER assign any UID/GID to the Domain Administrator.
>> AND on a member server use the user mapping file/config.
>> AND you should not create a windows user account which exist already in linux!
>>
> Why not assign a uid- and gidNumber to Domain Administrator? It has no
> negative impact on neither MS ADS, Samba AD DC or the memberserver or
> -client.

Yes you are right about it having no impact on AD, but it will on Unix,
as I have pointed out to you, it will turn it into a normal user, who
will be able to do very little on a Unix machine.

> I don't agree with you on using a mapping file. Let me elaborate:
> When installing a Windows server or client, a (local) administrator
> account is configured. This account has got the well known SID
> 'S-1-5-21-domain-500'. In this case the "domain" is a number
> identifying this particular server. The installer also configures the
> (local) group Administrators with SID S-1-5-32-544.

You are using a samba machine as a member server in a windows domain, so
the 'Administrator' will need to be able to carry out various
administrative actions on the samba machine, to do this, 'Administrator'
needs to become 'root'. If this is done in a terminal, your
'Administrator' with a uidNumber would have to be able to run commands
with sudo, how do you add this user to sudo? and how does your
'Administrator' carry out these actions from a windows GUI (which knows
nothing about sudo) ?

We cannot stop you running your domain your way, we can only advise you
to run it the same way that the majority of people do.

I think that I have said all that I can say about this way of running
samba/windows, any further comment will be useless, you have made up
your mind and will not be talked out of it.

Rowland

> [...]
>
> BUILTIN\Account Operators
> No privileges assigned
>
> BUILTIN\Backup Operators
> No privileges assigned
>
> BUILTIN\Server Operators
> No privileges assigned
>
> BUILTIN\Administrators
> SeMachineAccountPrivilege
> SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
> SeBackupPrivilege
> SeRestorePrivilege
> SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege
> SePrintOperatorPrivilege
> SeAddUsersPrivilege
> SeDiskOperatorPrivilege
> SeSecurityPrivilege
> SeSystemtimePrivilege
> SeShutdownPrivilege
> SeDebugPrivilege
> SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
> SeSystemProfilePrivilege
> SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege
> SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege
> SeLoadDriverPrivilege
> SeCreatePagefilePrivilege
> SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
> SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
> SeUndockPrivilege
> SeManageVolumePrivilege
> SeImpersonatePrivilege
> SeCreateGlobalPrivilege
> SeEnableDelegationPrivilege
>
> Everyone
> No privileges assigned
>
> EXAMPLE\Domain Admins
> SeRestorePrivilege
> SeDiskOperatorPrivilege
>
> root at ostraaros:~#

>> Im thinking here you did something wrong, or you assinged to an account which should not.
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_RFC2307_on_a_Samba_DC
>> Using ADUC to set Unix Attributes on groups ..
>> It's not required to add users to the group in this tab! Winbind, sssd and nslcd retrieve the account membership from the Windows groups

>> will go give problems on the long run..
>> ( i know i tried something like this about 10 years ago. )

>> YES!!! thats correct. ... and for that you need to use the usermapping setting on a member server.
>>
> Se the elaboration above.
>
>> SO whats the problem besides, and this im guessing base on above.
>> 1) you need windows users in linux groups ?
> No.
>
>> 2) you need unix users in windows groups?
> No.
>
>> 3) you need to have windows users work with unix users
> Preferrably.
>
>> 4) did you set the privileges on the member server for groups which need it.
> Se above.
>
>> 5) you need to set the user mapping file.
> No. I don't.
>
>> 6) when all done, you need to setup your rights ( and share rights)
>>          again.. since what you tried will mess up the rights in the long run.
> Both Share and NTFS rights are correct.
>
>> 7) remember ADDC samba is NOT member server Samba, 2 complete different things and setups.
>>
> This is a member server running Ubuntu 14.04 with Sernet Samba on top.
>
>> But,, its just a suggestion, you can go trie what you want but you will get the same advice from us.

>>> dnsmasq:x:108:65534:dnsmasq,,,:/var/lib/misc:/bin/false
>>> EXAMPLE\administrator:*:10500:10513:Administrator:/data/home/ad
>>> ministrator:/bin/false
>>> EXAMPLE\davor:*:11105:10513:Davor Vusir:/data/home/davor:/bin/false
>>> EXAMPLE\dns-dc1:*:11123:10513:dns-DC1:/data/home/dns-dc1:/bin/false
>>> EXAMPLE\krbtgt:*:10502:10513:krbtgt:/data/home/krbtgt:/bin/false