[Samba] Samba4: "MYDOM\Administrator" quite useless on a member server?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 27 03:52:21 MDT 2014

On 27/10/14 08:07, Davor Vusir wrote:

>>> Perhaps not anything to worry about. But isn't uid- and gidNumber to
>>> be considered the "bridge", in some sense, between the Windows-world
>>> and Linux-world? And winbind is the interpretator? Wouldn't it be
>>> better to advice to assign both uid- and gidNumbers to user accounts
>>> and gidNumbers to groups? For compatability sake?
>>
>> What you are saying is indeed true, but you only need to add uidNumber's &
>> gidNumber's to users & groups that you want/need to be visible to Unix and
>> you would also have to use the winbind 'ad' backend (other similar programs
>> are available)

>>> I have stopped using usermapping because I get the following error in
>>> smbd.log:
>>>
>>> [2014/10/23 21:32:46.464772,  0]
>>> ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:136(daemon_ready)
>>>     STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve
>>> connectionsFailed to fetch record!
>>> [2014/10/23 21:32:49.389720,  0]
>>> ../source3/smbd/uid.c:153(check_user_share_access)
>>>     user root connection to home denied due to share security descriptor.
>>> [2014/10/23 21:32:49.475638,  0]
>>> ../source3/smbd/uid.c:153(check_user_share_access)
>>>     user root connection to home denied due to share security descriptor.
>>>
>>> I also get access denied to the security tab in Computer Management
>>> MMC/Shared Folders/Shares/<ShareName>. Trying to have a peek at
>>> Computer Management MMC/Shared Folders/Sessions renders an access
>>> denied message box. Likewise for "Open Files". Commenting "username
>>> map" makes it all work again.
>>
>> I would think that you have other problems, I use smbmap without problem,
>> also there are probably quite a lot of other people using smbmap and I have
>> never heard of the problems that you have posted.
>>
> I don't have problems. As implied above; I have assigned uidNumber and
> gidNumber to all domain accounts, including the domain administrator
> account. And all groups as well, built-in or man made.
>
> Some history:
> First create a directory and add it to the [share] in smb.conf.
> Nothing new here.
> root at ostraaros:~# ls -al /data/
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root          root          4096 Oct 26 09:26 test2
>
> Start Computer Management MMC, open Shares and show Properties about
> the share gives me an access denied. But adding 'smbmap' to smb.conf
> allows me to view the properties and looks like this:
> Share-ACL:
> C:\Users\administrator>setacl -on \\ostraaros\test2 -ot shr -actn list
> \\ostraaros\test2
>     DACL(not_protected):
>     Everyone   full   allow   no_inheritance
> SetACL finished successfully.
>
> And the NTFS ACL:
> C:\Users\administrator>setacl -on \\ostraaros\test2 -ot file -actn
> list \\ostraaros\test2
>     DACL(not_protected):
>     Unix User\root   full   allow   no_inheritance
>     Unix Group\root   read_execute   allow   no_inheritance
>     Everyone   read_execute   allow   no_inheritance
> [...]
Two things from the above jump out at me, one you are trying to stop
root doing something, good luck with that on a Unix machine. secondly,
you have a user called 'root' and a group called 'root', don't know how
you managed that because it is not supposed to be possible (or allowed
anyway), see here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc783323%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Look under 'To create a user account on a local computer'

You have also given the Unix user 'root' a uidNumber, I have never done
this, so I thought I would give it a try, I first had to create 'root'
in AD and then add the 'uidNumber', well yes it works, BUT I now have
two 'root' users:

rowland at ThinkPad ~ $ getent passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
root:*:10007:10000:root:/root:/bin/bash

Still think it is a good idea ??

Rowland

Going now to delete the 'phantom' root user!!