[Samba] Samba-Tool setup default passwd db type?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sun Oct 26 02:58:11 MDT 2014

Hello Greg

Am 25.10.2014 um 09:40 schrieb Greg Zartman:
> I'm working to setup a Samba 4 AD DC and ran through the howto on the wiki.
>   https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>
> What type of database backend is Samba using?  Is it using the LDAP server
> internal to Samba or a tdb database?
>
> The man page for smb.conf says that the default passdb backend is tdb, so I
> was curious what Samba-Tool is going.

Samba uses TDB/LDB files for storinging everything in its backend. The
Samba AD internal LDAP is using LDB files for storing its content.

'passdb backend' is used for local accounts on Member Servers and PDCs.
There you have the choice. But this parameter is not relevant for an
Samba AD DC.

Regards,
Marc