[Samba] What is Samba_dsdb???

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:26:04 MDT 2014

On 25/10/14 23:16, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     To a greater extent yes, but it does not work in the same way, you
>     may have to extend the schema, but you cannot use standard
>     openldap schemas or ldifs, just what do you need to use AD for ?
>

> I'm working on samba4 support for the SME Server distro
> (www.contribs.org <http://www.contribs.org>). Right now it uses
> Samba3.6 and has an LDAP backend for auth.  I want to move that auth
> to Samba4/AD auth.
>
> My initial thought was that we would need to import the old LDAP auth
> schema's from our LDAP work into Samba4 LDAP/AD.  However, in doing
> more research, it looks like Samba4s AD approach is completely
> different, yes?   It looks like we will need to scrap all of this old
> LDAP work.
>
> Greg
Hi Greg, it has been some time since I tried out SME, but if I remember
correctly it is based on Centos, if this is correct, then things got a
bit easier for you. Forget using Samba as an AD DC, you cannot at this
time setup a DC on Centos, just migrate your samba 3.6 setup to whatever
version of samba comes with whatever version of Centos you are basing
SME on, this will allow you to use openldap as before.

Rowland