[Samba] LDAP proxy auth

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Oct 25 14:31:59 MDT 2014

On 25/10/14 22:23, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 25/10/14 20:33, Lars Hanke wrote:
>> During my test phase I used to manage POSIX attributes in my AD using
>> ldap-tools with -Y GSSAPI after kinit Administrator. Now this became
>> impossible unless I logged in as Administrator, since the principal is
>> tied to the user account - be it only for NFS4. ;) Administrator so
>> far is not even a POSIX user.
>>
>> My first idea was to join my POSIX user to some group, which is
>> allowed to modify user data. Does samba4 recognize this? And which
>> group would be the correct one?
>>
>> Alternatively, is there a way to simple bind with Administrator access
>> rights?
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> - lars.
> investigate ldb-tools and kerberos, you will need a keytab, but if you
> use winbind, this will be created for you.
>
> Rowland

But not if he's on the DC. In that case he could use the MACHINE$ or
host/ keys at /path/to/samba/private/secrets.keytab or, I'm almost
certain that our counterparts of the kerberos list would recommend he
nominates an unprivileged domain user and creates the default keytab
containing that key.
José