[Samba] What is Samba_dsdb???

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 25 14:18:34 MDT 2014

On 25/10/14 20:22, Greg Zartman wrote:
> In the configuration parameters created by samba-tool interactive, I get
> passdb backend = samba_dsdb, but I have no idea what kind of backend this
> is.  It also doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
>
> Further down the config, it mentions tdb as the backend for winbind.
>
> It's a little unclear to me if Samba 4 uses LDAP auth out of the gate or
> you have to do something to configure it.
>
> Greg
To answer your question 'what is Samba_dsdb' , this is Samba directory
services database.

As you have run samba-tool provision, you have configured it, and samba4
after provision doesn't use LDAP auth, it uses AD auth, it is an
implementation of Active Directory. What you will have now (hopefully)
is an AD Domain Controller, this will act like a windows AD DC to
control a Domain. You will now have to add users, groups etc, you can do
this with ADUC on windows or with samba-tool.

Rowland