[Samba] Discrepancies in getent passwd

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:14:22 MDT 2014

On 23/10/14 16:01, John Lewis wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 10:52 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 23/10/14 15:45, John Lewis wrote:
>>> dictator at keep:~$ getent passwd | grep ldap-connect
>>> ldap-connect:*:10000:513:::/usr/sbin/nologin
>>> dictator at keep:~$ getent passwd ldap-connect
>>> ldap-connect:*:10000:513:::/bin/sh
>>>

>>> How do I make that shell is always /usr/sbin/nologin for ldap-connect?
>> Hi, any chance of a bit more info, OS, what version of samba, smb.conf,
>> etc ?
>>
>> Rowland
>
> dictator at drakeburner:~$ smbclient -V
> Version 4.1.11-Debian
> dictator at drakeburner:~$ sudo samba -V
> Version 4.1.11-Debian
> dictator at keep:~$ smbclient -V
> Version 3.6.6

Why, oh why, is this like extracting teeth ???

You posted dictator at keep, 'dictator' being your user and 'keep' being
the hostname of your computer, you have now posted:

dictator at drakeburner

AND no smb.conf!!!!

I take it that you are running an AD DC on 'drakeburner' and 'keep' is a
client joined to the domain, but I am just guessing here.

If this is the case, then there is, at this time, no way to get the same
loginShell on the AD DC server and a client for an individual user.

You can get an individual loginShell on clients etc.

Rowland