[Samba] Continuous Normalisation error for attribute whenCreated when performing dbcheck

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 23 03:30:35 MDT 2014

On 16/10/14 10:08, Andreas Oster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since the migration of our old Win2k domain to Samba4 some years ago
> I get a lot of errors like the following when doing a
> "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix" :
>

> ERROR: Normalisation error for attribute whenCreated in
> CN=rpc-Ns-Group,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=com
> value '19700101000000.0Z' should be '16010101000000.0Z'
> Fix normalisation for whenCreated from
> CN=rpc-Ns-Group,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=com? [YES]
> Normalised attribute whenCreated
>

> This repeats 1000+ times for many different entries.
>
> The samba-tool unfortunately does not fix the issue because when I start
> it a second time it will complain again, this time with values switched
> around:
>
> value '16010101000000.0Z' should be '19700101000000.0Z'
>

> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this ?
>
> Thank you very much for your kind help.
>
> best regards
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas, I got so bogged down in Louis's script that I missed that
the two values for 'whenCreated' are both rather special ;-)

You could write '19700101000000' as the first of January 1970, AKA Unix
epoch time.
You could also write '16010101000000' as the first of January 1601, AKA
windows epoch time.

I am absolutely positive that you didn't create anything in AD way back
in 1601 (unless you have discovered the secret of time travel), I also
do not think that you created anything in 1970, so the question really
is, why are the 'whenCreated' attributes incorrectly set and how do I
reset them.

Can you check if all these attributes are incorrectly set, you will
probably have to resort to ldbsearch, grep, etc.

I would suggest that you backup everything before you start changing
anything.

Rowland