[Samba] Samba AD DC System Requirements

Peter Serbe peter at serbe.ch
Sun Oct 19 11:39:41 MDT 2014

> jose wrote
> One of our students built it on a pi. It takes all night.

:-) yeah - but for the patient ones it works...

> Otherwise, all our stuff is second hand, some of it 10 years old.

2004: the year of the Itanium... that would be fully satisfactory.
A bit power hungry maybe. But anyway.

> We've no idea why people waste good hardware on something that
> does nothing most of the time.

On the one hand: yes. But on the other... I just replace a
Raspi as AD DC, because it did noticeably slow down the speed
of my file server when accessing large numbers of little
files. And this is a single user scenario.

> 600 users and 80 clients

If You got 500 clients You might want at least something like
an i3. But indeed, the AD DC is not the first place to start
looking for performance bottlenecks.

Best regards
Peter