[Samba] Is the samba-dc package on Centos 7 gimped?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 19 01:51:21 MDT 2014

On 19/10/14 00:06, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:

>>> Oh come on, this a bit like asking a sports fan which is the best team ;-)
>>>
>> ¡LOL!
>>
>> The best Samba package, ever, is the one you build yourself. For your
>> domain. To your requirements. So that you know what's in it. So that you
>> have control over it. You cannot expect Centos, Ubuntu nor Debian to do that
>> job for you;)
> I'll beg to disagree here. This way lies madness with complex
> software. I don't have the *time* to hand-compile and hand-tune every
> single package myself. And I say this as a guy who does it
> professionally, publishing backport tools for Samba 4.1.11 to RHEL: 6,
> over at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo and
> https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo. and as the first publisher of
> ports to SunOS way, way back in the day.
>
> I can expect RHEL to do that for me in new OS releases, it's part of
> what I pay money for, and sharing the expertise in a bundled set for
> others is part of what I appreciate from the open source and freeware
> worlds.
So you are going to rely on red hat coming up with a working samba DC
package, good luck with that and I hope you are prepared to be patient.
Samba 4 was released nearly 2 years ago and red hat still hasn't got a
working package, why ? because they insist it must work with mit instead
of heimdal, it probably would have been quicker for red hat to drop mit.

Rowland