[Samba] Is the samba-dc package on Centos 7 gimped?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 17:06:32 MDT 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 18/10/14 11:15, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>
>> On 18/10/14 00:38, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
>

>>> So, which Samba package out there is the best one, ever?
>>

>> Oh come on, this a bit like asking a sports fan which is the best team ;-)
>>
> ¡LOL!
>
> The best Samba package, ever, is the one you build yourself. For your
> domain. To your requirements. So that you know what's in it. So that you
> have control over it. You cannot expect Centos, Ubuntu nor Debian to do that
> job for you;)

I'll beg to disagree here. This way lies madness with complex
software. I don't have the *time* to hand-compile and hand-tune every
single package myself. And I say this as a guy who does it
professionally, publishing backport tools for Samba 4.1.11 to RHEL: 6,
over at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo and
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo. and as the first publisher of
ports to SunOS way, way back in the day.

I can expect RHEL to do that for me in new OS releases, it's part of
what I pay money for, and sharing the expertise in a bundled set for
others is part of what I appreciate from the open source and freeware
worlds.