[Samba] "force user" option with NT4 domain

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Oct 17 10:20:02 MDT 2014

On 10/17/2014 11:52 AM, steve wrote:
> On 17/10/14 17:39, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>> [public]
>>>       comment = Public Share
>>>       path = /home/shares/public/public
>>>       public = yes
>>>       force user = pcguest
>>>       valid users = pcguest
>>>       writeable = yes
>>>       browsable = yes
>>>       printable = no
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>> How can I go about troubleshooting this?
>>
> Hi
> Don't use smb.conf?
> [public]
> path = /home/shares/public/public
> read only= No
> public = Yes
> browsable = Yes
>
> chown to pcguest
> then set it sticky u+s

Interesting suggestion.  That would work to make sure new files are
created as the right user, but it doesn't make them readable by
whichever user happens to connect unless I also change the permissions
to 777.

I have also considered changing the group permissions on all the files
and using the "force group" setting (which does seem to work).

What bugs me is that "force user" is a documented option and I can't
find anyone saying that it is broken, however it will not work for me.
Should I file a bug report somewhere?

--
Bowie