[Samba] idmap configuration after initial deployment needed?

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 09:24:29 MDT 2014

Hello,

     Using Ubuntu 12.04 with Samba 4.1.11. I'm currently redirecting
windows folders to a Samba DC. This DC is not the one that was deployed
first. Based on discussions from another thread I copied the idmap.ldb
from the initial DC to the others that are deployed. I noticed upon
doing so the file permissions on the shares were broken. As in existing
users were unable to see their documents or make modifications to them.
I deleted them from the ACL list and reapplied their appropriate
permissions. This corrected that issue.

     I also noticed that an issue I had with applying GPO's to users at
remote sites was now working again after making this change. With all
that being said. I was under the impressions that I only needed to add
idmap configurations to my smb.conf if I was using a member server to
handle shares from linux/unix users or workstations. I appear to be
wrong?  Thanks for any assistance.

--
-James