[Samba] Join an ADS Domain and provide simple password security

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:25:22 MDT 2014

Hi,

I'm used to share some files and trees with samba from linux boxes, using simple password security for a few selected accounts, by using `smbpasswd` and `security=user`. Now I sometimes want to enter a domain in my company office network.

But I could not use `net ads join` as long as I haven't changed `security=user` to `security=ads`.

I'm a bit confused now:

I joined a domain with security=ads and started winbindd with this setting. Now I moved my samba configuration back to `security=user` so I can use my local user accounts.

Still winbind echoes the domain users and smbtree shows the domain hosts, but the share server now works in another domain, that is local to the system it runs on.

Is this configuration valid, or will it fail?

What is the idea of joining a domain anyway?

Can I join an ads domain with the linux host and provide 'security = user' shares on the same machine? If yes, how?

Regards,

Ingo Krabbe