[Samba] groups with cn similar to domain

Robert Moggach rob at moggach.com
Sun Oct 12 22:13:58 MDT 2014

Question follows the description…

I have a domain something like "DC=example,DC=lan"

I can create a group named “example” within group OU “OU=Groups” using:

    samba-tool group add example —groupou=“OU=Groups"

I can’t query the group using:

    wbinfo —group-info example
    failed to call wbcGetgrnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
    Could not get info for group example

However I can query using:

    ldbsearch --url=ldap://dc1.example.lan -k yes -b “dc=example,dc=lan" "(&(objectclass=group)(cn=example))" -b ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=lan

Is it bad practice to create group names that match one of the domain path items?

Another example which isn’t part of the domain path is the cn “operation"

I can get what I need using grep,sed, etc. but wonder if I’m breaking the rules.

Thanks,

Rob