[Samba] Join an ADS Domain and provide simple password security

Ingo Krabbe ingo.krabbe at eoa.de
Sat Oct 11 04:01:25 MDT 2014

> Why do you need to connect to the domain ? if this was known, there may
> be another way round this.

Living in an office network, there are some services that can be accessed either by a login password or they may be accessed free of exchanging credentials, for all members of a domain. As I use plan9 too, that is completely free of being able to join windows domains, I share the files using cifs and the authentication is done through the plan9 factotum authentication agent. So I'm able to use very strange passwords that are not memorable or guessable.

Being a long-term unix user this concept is a bit strange, as I think of computer systems as multi user systems, while in the windows samba world a "machine" joins the domain.

Anyway I try to get identified against different services through the domain membership, better than exchanging, caching and storing the same password any time. Services are

	http/https svn and git repositories
	smtp, pop3 ldap
	maybe some more

.