[Samba] Completely stumped as to why shares are not writable

Mark Kerr mark at kerrsolutions.ca
Thu Oct 9 11:12:52 MDT 2014

I have been pulling my hair out for days trying to make the Samba
shares on my Ubuntu server writable.

My shares had been working previously, but I had to re-install Ubuntu
after which I could no longer write to them.

- I am running Samba v4.1.11 and am accessing the shares from a
Macbook with Mavericks.
- All the shares are mounted ext4 partitions, except for my home
directory. The mounted partitions are not writable. My home share is
behaving strangely and is partially writable.
- If I create a new share just using a simple directory, it is writable.
- My system account name & password have been added to Samba.
- All shares, their contents, as well  as their mount points, are
recursively owned by both my account and group. I have tried both 775
and 777 for permissions.
- I am entering my user credentials correctly while attempting to
mount the share. I have also tried mounting them within terminal
passing my username:password.
- Listing the shares in terminal on the Macbook shows me as the owner
with rwx privileges.

I do not know if I am interpreting these log entries correctly, but I
think my username might not be getting passed to the server resulting
in a log in as guest:

---
 check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user []\[]@[]
with the new password interface
[2014/10/08 22:48:20.831374,  3]
../source3/auth/auth.c:180(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  mapped user is: [MYSERVERNAME]\[]@[]
[2014/10/08 22:48:20.831474,  3]
../source3/auth/auth.c:226(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password: guest authentication for user [] succeeded
---

On the other hand, I just noticed that smbstatus shows processes for
my user name originating from my Macbook's ip address. So I am at a
loss as to what the problem is.

This is my smb.conf:
--
[global]
  workgroup = MYWORKGROUPNAME
  server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
  netbios name = MYSERVERNAME
  dns proxy = no
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 1000
  syslog = 0
  log level = 0 auth:3
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = true
  passdb backend = tdbsam
  obey pam restrictions = yes
  unix password sync = yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
  pam password change = yes
  map to guest = bad user

  usershare max shares = 100
  usershare allow guests = yes
  allow insecure wide links = yes
  unix extensions = yes

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = yes
  read only = no
  create mask = 0775
  directory mask = 0775

[sysvol]
  path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
  read only = no

[netlogon]
  path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/localdomain/scripts
  read only = no

[Storage 06]
  path = /media/Storage 06
  available = yes