[Samba] Samba4 as BDC on a Win2003 AD_PDC

Karel Lang AFD lang at afd.cz
Thu Oct 9 07:28:19 MDT 2014

Hi Daniel,
i'm quite new to Samba list and particulary to Samba4 too, so take my
word with a grain of solt.

I think that maybe the terminology you use is not quite accurate, or clear.
Because (IMHO) you can not have server acting as PDC (primary domain
controller) in AD (active directory) as far as i understand it.

You can have either one off it, but not both.

What you talk about, that you have atm., (i think) is 'classic' NTv4
domain that consists of one PDC and as much as needed BDC servers.
Only the PDC can make change in authentication backend - usually some
LDAP server.

With this being said -in your case - Samba4 can act as PDC or BDC in
NTv4 domain - but as you say, you have it as BDC then it can't make
changes (please now someone correct me if i'm wrong about this - not
sure 100%)

If you want to switch off the windows server and retain, or keep NTv4
classic domain with one PDC -> more BDC structure then (IMHO) you need
to switch off Windows server and just make the SAmba4 PDC (change
smb.conf)- and make sure the SAmba4 server is looking into LDAP database
where the former Windoes server was storing the user data.

If the Windows server wwas storing data in it's own database, i guess
that you would need to export data first to 3rd party database first
(openldap, 389 directory server ... etc) and then again switch off
windows server, point Samba 4 to LDAP and make changes ins smb.conf
making it PDC.

I think another possible scenario is that you create AD (active
directory) from your Samba4 server, join windows server to it and
replicate data there, then you can keep win server running or you can
swithc it off.

But this takes quite some study - i'm in the process myself, as i plan
on moving from Samba3 ->4.

But again, you need to decide which type of domain you aim for - AD or
classic NTv4 with PDC-BDC?

Karel Lang