[Samba] migration from samba3 -> 4 architecture goal question

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Tue Oct 7 15:51:29 MDT 2014

On 7 October 2014 18:03, Karel Lang AFD <lang at afd.cz> wrote:
> Thanks Dan!
>
> do you plan on going AD with your setup? Is it possible to switch later?

Unfortunately the network I've inherited runs Microsoft Windows Server
2008R2 as their domain controllers and auth.  I'm currently in the
process of migrating most of the Samba3 systems across to
Samba4-classic (member servers on the current AD domain) just to get
SMB2/SMB3 speed benefits to the clients that can use it.

I have a longer term plan of migrating the domain to Samba4, but
that's going to have to wait for a few high pressure projects to
finish first.  Although with that said we've inherited a remote site
office with no central authentication, so I'm aiming to have Samba4-ad
domain controllers in there when the time comes.

-Dan