[Samba] Samba 4 for test

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 6 10:26:13 MDT 2014

On 06/10/14 17:12, Elias Pereira wrote:
> I compiled from source.
>
> I looked by samba3 packages, but found nothing.
>
> How can I remove the 3.x version?
>
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:

>> *EP> Hello everyone, EP> I installed the Samba4 for testing in debian 7.6.
>> The problem I am facing EP> is the following. EP> When I run the command
>> "smbclient --version" appears the version "3.6.6", EP> and not the version
>> of the installation that is "4.1.12". EP> Anyone ever faced this problem? *How
>> did you "install" samba? If you compiled it from source, you may have both
>> 4.x installed and 3.x installed and the one in your path is 3.x - so when
>> you run "smbclient" you get the 3.x version.

Hi, it will probably be easier to use the samba packages from debian
backports, this will get you samba 4.1.11 and you will be able to update
it via standard debian tools.

add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

# wheezy-backports
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main

Change 'uk' to your country

Run 'apt-get update'

now install required packages
apt-get -t wheezy-backports install samba attr krb5-config krb5-user
dnsutils winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5 libnss-winbind libsmbclient
smbclient

This should update your installed samba packages and cure your problem,
trying to remove the installed samb3 packages may try to remove more
than you want to.

Rowland