[Samba] ntvfs handler = cifs, CIFS-Proxy

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 5 01:15:26 MDT 2014

On 04/10/14 20:57, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 20:01 +0200, steve wrote:

>>> OK Andrew, just who has heard of provisioning a samba4 server and
>>> **then* *joining it to the domain ??
>>>
>>> Also 'not documented clearly', rubbish, it is **not* *documented at all,
>>> so seeing has how you seem to understand this, how about writing a howto?
>>>
>>> I was trying to find out just what he had done, it was not clear whether
>>> he had provisioned or joined, but anyway, it seems he needs to do both!
>>>
>> Phew, this is difficult to translate. So what's the answer to the OP's
>> question? Is it, yes, he does have to compile his own code? Or no, the
>> sernet binaries are fine.
>>
>> For everyone else, can we read, make install and then net ads join? Like
>> we've done for centuries?
>> Saludos,
>> Steve
> Unless you are building a CIFS proxy, there is no new information in
> this thread, and it can be safely ignored.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Andrew, I have been thinking about this and I am totally at a lose, how
do you provision a samba4 AD DC (which will get its own SID) and then
join it to another domain (which will have a different SID) ?

Can you please explain just how to do this, do you have to alter the
smb.conf (other than adding the 'server services' line) and if so how.

I understand how to provision a domain, I understand how to join a
samba4 member server/client to a domain and the differences in the two
smb.conf's. What I don't understand is how do you combine the two and
end up with a working samba4 cifs proxy.

Rowland