[Samba] ntvfs handler = cifs, CIFS-Proxy

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 03:20:46 MDT 2014

On 04/10/14 09:37, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 19:04 +0200, Meike Stone wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to configure a CIFS-Proxy. My configuration is:
>>>
>>> [global]
>>>          workgroup = MYDOM
>>>          server role = member server
>>>          realm = MYDOM.NET
>>>          netbios name = FS01
>>>          server services = +smb +s3fs
>>>          dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc
>> sorry, I used
>>      server services = +smb -s3fs
>>

>>> [test]
>>>          ntvfs handler = cifs
>>>          cifs:server = 192.168.1.10
>>>          cifs:share = projects$
>>>
>>> but in logfile I ever get following message:
>>>
>>> [2014/10/01 17:04:05.929403,  0] ../source3/param/loadparm.c:2377(service_ok)
>>>    WARNING: No path in service test - making it unavailable!
>>> [2014/10/01 17:04:06.146723,  0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:136(daemon_ready)
>>>
>>> It is samba 4.1.12, the packages are from Sernet.
>>>
>>> Do I need to compile my binaries on my own, if so,
>>> what compiling options I must use?
>> or is there any mistake, can I debug this problem?
> So, what is happening here is that some of our common code in loadparm
> really isn't ready to cope with the idea of a path-less share, and the
> quickest way to shut it up is to define a path, but know that won't be
> used by the ntvfs file server.
>
> It won't actually stop the cifs proxy working.  We know the proxy works
> (for SMB1) because we test it in make test.
>
> I know you got down a rabbit-hole with Roland, but yes, this really is a
> feature, it is hard to find and use, because you need to operate Samba
> in a way not documented clearly (because for everyone else, it is
> useless) where you use the 'samba-tool domain provision
> --server-role=member' mode followed by 'samba-tool domain join' if you
> need to be part of a domain.
OK Andrew, just who has heard of provisioning a samba4 server and
**then* *joining it to the domain ??

Also 'not documented clearly', rubbish, it is **not* *documented at all,
so seeing has how you seem to understand this, how about writing a howto?

I was trying to find out just what he had done, it was not clear whether
he had provisioned or joined, but anyway, it seems he needs to do both!

Rowland