[Samba] Sysvol replication with Unison for more than 2 server.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Oct 3 01:16:07 MDT 2014

This idmap copy is really not needed IF you only use sysvol on the DC.
and you obey the following.

1) You set you GPO as user Administrator
2) or if an other user you use, is member of "Domain\Domain Admins" ( but i did not test this )

The build-in group sid is the same on all servers.
Administrators should be "SID: S-1-5-32-544" ...always.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/243330

SID: S-1-5-32-544
Name: Administrators
After the initial installation of the operating system, the only member of the group is the Administrator account.
When a computer joins a domain, the Domain Admins group is added to the Administrators group.
When a server becomes a domain controller, the Enterprise Admins group also is added to the Administrators group.

All above does not work if you add you own groups etc on sysvol.
I only use the defaults on it and i add user to the needed groups.
If a "Admin2user" adds this to gpo of sysvol, yes then this user can have problems with IDMAP and RIDs.
then a copy of idmap is needed.

I overcome the sid/xid/rid problems by using only Administrator on the GPO/Sysvol work.

Louis