[Samba] Multi domain controller environment Ubuntu 12.04, replication and DNS updates broken

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Oct 1 04:16:03 MDT 2014


 DeletedObjects ... and replication errors. 

This is a known samba 4 bug. 
see also :  https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10398 
Look at the post : No objectClass found in replPropertyMetaData *(was thread :replication issues solved by adding GUID name ... ) 
by me. ;-)  today an old e-mail entered the mailing list, which involves the problem you discribe. 

I dont know it the fix in in the latest samba release yet.
maybe someone of samba knows. 

Karolin can you answhere this? or pass this to someone who knows. 


>-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
>Van: chrisa at acs-info.co.uk 
>[mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] Namens Chris Alavoine
>Verzonden: woensdag 1 oktober 2014 9:31
>Aan: samba at lists.samba.org
>Onderwerp: [Samba] Multi domain controller environment Ubuntu 
>12.04, replication and DNS updates broken
>Hi all,
>Am posting this again with a more helpful subject line...
>My 5 DC production domain (4.1.7 Ubuntu 12.04) is in a bit of a state.
>I attempted an upgrade from 4.1.5 to 4.1.7 which appeared to 
>work, but now
>we have replication errors and am unable to add any new DNS 
>entries. I am
>now certain that we've fallen foul of the DomainDnsZones DeletedObjects
>problem that I've been reading about in various posts on the lists.
>between 3 and 4GB on each of the DC's. Doing an ldapsearch ( 
>ldbsearch -H
>'isDeleted=TRUE' dn )on
>each DC returns a different number of objects ranging from 
>387000 down to
>88000 on the FSMO DC. Almost all of these are stale isDeleted entries.
>I have lowered the tombstoneLifetime setting as suggested by 
>other posters
>on the lists and this appears to be slowly (very slowly) lowering the
>number of records within the ldb domaindnszones file, my hope 
>is that they
>will lower sufficiently so that I can join a new working 4.1.12 DC to
>I am currently attempting a Bind migration on a test DC as 
>this is toted as
>a possible fix (any successes out there with this?).
>A matter of note for the lists: When I originally provisioned my domain
>(classic upgrade from Samba3) I created a new OU for Groups 
>and moved all
>groups into it, this is a mistake if you want to migrate to Bind as the
>migration script needs CN=DnsAdmins to be in Users OU, if it isn't the
>script errors. I moved DnsAdmins back to Users to get the script to
>At present I'm holding the domain together with bits of string 
>and sticky
>tape - having to reboot one of my DC's every 30 mins just to 
>keep things
>ticking over.
>I have tried many variations of joining a new DC to the domain 
>but that has
>failed, so my current plan is to create a test version of my 
>FSMO DC using
>BIND_DLZ (using a current snapshot of the FSMO DC) and get things to a
>working state there, and then replace this on the production site and
>re-join new DC's to rebuild things. Obviously, not best practice but I
>can't think of any other way of getting things stable again.
>I have tried manually editing the .ldb files but they are so 
>inflated now
>that any vim edits just time out and error.
>ACS (Alavoine Computer Services Ltd)
>Chris Alavoine
>mob +44 (0)7724 710 730
>To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
>instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

More information about the samba mailing list