[Samba] Sharing a directory owned by root

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 19:14:29 MST 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Question: Is it possible for samba to share the "foo" directory to
> guests read-only?

To answer my own question:

Samba had no trouble sharing the contents of a directory "foo" even
though it was neither owned nor grouped by the user connecting.

However, Samba is having trouble sharing a special directory created
by ZFS called .zfs for a reason that I am confident has nothing to do
with permissions or ownership.

Curiously I noticed that even ls had trouble with this particular directory:

[root at milli] ~# ls -al /mnt/vol0/public > /dev/null
ls: /mnt/vol0/public/.zfs: Operation not supported
[root at milli] ~#

So I conclude that the directory has something "special" about it that
prevents Samba from seeing it.

Thank you all for your help.

Chris