[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 29 15:24:05 MST 2014

On 29/11/14 22:01, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Interesting, I thought that the macro's didn't work, I am fairly
>     sure that most of them don't, but it seems that '%S' does.
>     However, [homes] is not supposed to be able to handle the users
>     automatic creation, see here:
>
>     https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_home_share
>
>     All I can say is to try it and see how you go on, please tell us
>     if it does work and I will amend the wiki page.
>

> Will do.  I'm strill working on the perl API, so I'm not at a point
> where I can test, but I've referenced this email thread in our bug
> tracker.  Hopefully, I'll be able to start working on this homedir
> issue next week.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Greg J. Zartman
> Board Member
>
> Koozali SME Server
>
> SME Server user and community member since 2000

I have done a bit more investigation about Zentyal and [homes] and you
are correct about how they do it and in my opinion (for what it is
worth), they are doing it wrong:

</%init>
[homes]
     comment = <% __('Home Directories') %>
     path = /home/%S
     read only = no
     browseable = no
     create mask = 0611
     directory mask = 0711

They shouldn't be using [homes]
Why add the browseable line ? there is no browsing in S4
The ACL's should be set with setfacl

All that is really required is:

[home]
     path = /home/%S