[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 29 13:44:33 MST 2014

On 29/11/14 20:33, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Well, I have several ways of doing it, I have a patched version of
>     samba-tool (why has the patch for 'unixHomeDirectory' never made
>     it into samba-tool? ) I also have a bash script that uses
>     ldb-tools. Finally I have PHP5 web application that will do it.
>     you can use ldbedit, in fact that are many ways to add
>     'unixHomeDirectory'.
>

> I'm building a perl API for active directory on Samba 4, so I'll just
> put that on my list.
>
> If Samba ignores unixHomeDirectory, is there any real benefit from
> setting it?  I'm going to configure SSSD, which appears to recognize
> home directories correctly.

I will say it again, samba only ignores most of the RFC2307 attributes
on the AD DC, samba will use all the RFC2307 attributes on any machine
that is not an AD DC.

Yes, sssd will use the 'unixHomeDirectory' attribute, but it will still
have to be set in AD, otherwise you will have to revert to the sssd
equivalent of 'template homedir'

Rowland