[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 29 03:18:36 MST 2014

On 28/11/14 23:44, Greg Zartman wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2014 2:10 AM, "Rowland Penny" <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
> <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
> > You can share it, you just cannot use individual paths to the users
> home directories, it has to be whatever the default is or what you set
> the template to. This is one of the reasons it is not recommended to
> use the AD DC as a fileserver.
>
> Wow that is a major shortcoming.  Many small businesses, home users,
> and nonprofits don't need multiple boxes for their server needs.
> Seems aweful shortsighted to exclude this fairly large cross-section
> of users.
>
> So you are saying the AD DC needs to have all home dirs in
> /home/workgroup/username or it won't provide unique smb shares to them?

No, you can have home dirs in /home/username or /var/username or where
ever you chose, you just have to set the 'template homedir' line in
smb.conf, you just cannot have different home dirs based on the
'unixHomeDirectory' attribute in the users AD record. This is because
'winbind' and the 'winbindd' in the upcoming 4.2 ignores any  RFC2307
attributes other than 'uidNumber' & 'gidNumber'. I do not understand why
all the attributes aren't pulled and have opened a bug report about
this, but it seems to be low down the priorities of things to fix.

This is one of the reasons that it is not recommended to use the DC for
anything other than authentication, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

Rowland