[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:10:28 MST 2014

On 28/11/14 07:56, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 1:23 AM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>>     This doesn't work anymore?  path = /home/e-smith/files/users/%S/home
>>
>>     Greg
>
>     It does, but only on a member server or client, just **NOT** on
>     the AD DC, I have a bug opened on 4.2rc2 (which has moved to
>     winbindd instead of winbind) about this.
>

> That seems like a pretty major bug.  Why in the world would they not
> give us the ability to share the users home dir when they are logged in?
>

> --
> Greg J. Zartman
> Board Member
>
> Koozali Foundation, Inc.
> 2755 19th Street SE
> Salem, Oregon 97302
> Cell:  541-5218449
>
> SME Server user and community member since 2000
You can share it, you just cannot use individual paths to the users home
directories, it has to be whatever the default is or what you set the
template to. This is one of the reasons it is not recommended to use the
AD DC as a fileserver. I think that the problem lies in the samba
daemon, as the 'new' winbindd daemon is the same as the winbindd daemon
that works fully on a member server.

Rowland