[Samba] What is --rfc2307-from-nss ??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 26 05:10:51 MST 2014

On 26/11/14 05:43, Greg Zartman wrote:
> I'm having a hard time figuring out what the samba-tool user create
> --rfc2307-from-nss does?  The documentation is a little skinny.

It runs getpwnam**() to get the users info from another database, so is
not much in creating a new user, as the new user in AD must not exist on
the underlying OS.

> I want users I create in the AD to be able to access local file shares on
> Centos, so I'm setting up the SSSD service, but not entirely sure if SSSD
> will provide user attributes like the login shell or if I should set it
> explicitly in the active directory.

OK, I am not telling you this, but with the users info stored in RFC2307
attributes in AD:

Using winbind (Version 4.1.11-Debian)
root at debdc:~# getent passwd testuser
INTERNAL\testuser:*:10000:10000:Test User:/home/INTERNAL/testuser:/bin/false

Using sssd (Version 1.11.3)
root at debdc:~# getent passwd testuser
testuser:*:10000:10000:Test User:/home/testuser:/bin/bash

Both on the AD DC

Rowland