[Samba] Windows 8.1 client not able to see and connect to samba server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 03:51:11 MST 2014

On 25/11/14 10:27, Eike Hinderk Jürrens wrote:
> On 19.11.2014 15:52, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> No, only by IP. The connection to \\ip.of.the.sambaserver\ is not
>>> working, too. Yesterday, we tried to fix this by adding the name and IP
>>> to the client's hosts file but this didn't fix the issue.
>> You need to get dns working properly, how do the clients get their DNS
>> settings, via DHCP ? If so, is your dhcp server giving out the full
>> and correct information ? Does the samba server have a fixed ip ? Does
>> your dns server know about your samba server and the clients ?
> I think that this is not true as some clients are able to connect via IP
> without working DNS. So, DNS is an issue but not the source of the
> problem here, or not?
>
> The DNS server IPs are distributed via DHCP but the DNS servers are not
> aware of any servers in our companies LAN. Hence, DNS is not working for
> local servers and IPs but remote.
>
> Sorry for the late reply, I am quite busy atm.
>
> Kind regards and thanks for your time!
>
> Eike
>
>> Rowland

>>> No, the failing client is member of the same workgroup like the samba
>>> server.

>>> I tested with disabled firewall and nothing changed.

>>> Kind regards,
>>> Eike

It sounds to me that you are running the DNS setup from hell. I used to
administrate a small workgroup and had multiple problems until I setup
my own local DNS server for the workgroup, this only knew about the
workgroup, anything else was forwarded. I also gave the servers fixed ip
addresses, this solved 99% of the problems that I had been having. The
other question that springs to mind, just how many machines are in the
workgroup, anything above about 12 and the workgroup gets really
unmanageable.

Also have tried what Louis suggested ? 'Adding the "Client for Microsoft
Networks" to you network adapter in windows.'

Rowland