[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 02:28:39 MST 2014

On 25/11/14 05:43, Greg Zartman wrote:
> I'm using samba-tool to create a "Domain User," but I want this user to
> have a home directory on the Linux box.  Is there any mechanism in Samba
> that creates this dir as part of the "samba-tool user create" process?   It
> seems that I need to create this manually first, then create the user and
> define the user home dir in the AD
>
> THanks,

There is no mechanism to do what you want (as far as I know), you need
to create the user first, then create the users homedir. Only potential
problem that I can see, you want to do this on the AD DC but winbind at
the moment will not pull the users Unix homedir from AD. You can either
accept the default setting '/home/%WORKGROUP%/%ACCOUNTNAME%' or set your
own template in smb.conf, but this will be the same for ALL users, you
cannot have different settings per user.

You could use 'pam_mkhomedir' (though I think that it is called another
name on Centos), but it will suffer from the same problem.

Rowland