[Samba] What is --ldapadminpass used for???

Greg Zartman gzartman at koozali.org
Sat Nov 22 22:43:56 MST 2014

I've been crawling around in the Samba python code and I can't seem to
determine what --ldapadminpass does for us on the user side?  It looks to
me from what I can discern from the code is that this is for internal
Samba<->LDAP communication using the cn=samba-admin.

Are these creds (ldapadminpass + samba-admin) usable at all to connect
directly to the Samba LDAP server and talk to it?  I'm working on a perl
API for pulling specific data from the Active Directory and I'm currently
creating a domain admins user for these comms, but it would be cleaner if I
could use these buildin creds.

Thanks

--
Greg J. Zartman
Board Member

Koozali SME Server

SME Server user and community member since 2000