[Samba] Samba4 and Unix users

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 22 03:10:50 MST 2014

On 21/11/14 23:41, Greg Zartman wrote:
> If I want AD users to also be unix users, do I need to use the
> --user-xattrs provision option in addition to user-rfc2307?

If your system supports xattrs, then it is recommended, otherwise you
could end up using a .tdb file to store them.

> It looks like AD will automatically assign UIDs/GIDs starting at 1000.  Is
> this correct?
>
> Thanks,

Well yes & no, the number that windows starts with is 10000, but if you
want to create users & groups with your own scripts, you will have to
add a couple of attributes. These attributes are, msSFU30MaxUidNumber
and msSFU30MaxGidNumber, they need to be added to:

CN=<workgroup>,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,RootDSE

If you add Unix attributes to a user or group with ADUC via the
UNIX_Attributes tab, the attributes are added automatically.

Rowland