[Samba] Samba smb.conf logging parameters

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 08:04:13 MST 2014

Hello,

     My current logging options in my smb.conf are as follows

  # Debug Logging Information
         log level = 3
         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/log.%m
#      include = /usr/local/samba/var/lib/smb.conf.%m
         max log size = 2000

What I would like to do is have logs for workstations and users. Can I
chain for example

'log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/log.%m.%u'

Ideally I would like to have user and workstation logs separated by
folders. Would this work?

'log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/m/log.%m'
'log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/u/log.%u'

I notice my current workstation logs contains IP and netbios names. If a
log is given an IP. Does that mean the workstation doesn't have a
netbios name defined? Is it better to use netbios or DNS for logging?
Thanks.

--
-James